Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ch. 13 - The Temple

Ch. 13 - The Temple

These are notes of my reflection in Chapter 13.

And so Jesus cleared the temple for the Gentiles. I love this. I continue to view myself as a Gentile, or, at least, carrying over my ignorance of who God is and how richly mankind has been blessed and designed by God. Jesus set apart room for me. He chastised the Jews for taking away my place of prayer. Jesus wants us (everybody) to remain in reflection of God.

We are inconsiderate of the design of the experience and often transform the intended (experience of "going to church") into tradition and a situation into a sensical platform. I think about righteousness, how I want so much to have my ideal relationship with God: I am loved and give devotion that expresses who I am, all of my skills and beauty fossilized, no challenge I can't conquer, I am a shining ray of light, nothing ever offends me and I am completely free of obligation: living in a universe of freedom, liberty, play. Sometimes I feel so sad that it seems I see everything as an obligation and not a privilege or honor. For example, serving the church or evangelism or going to work (all the time!).

For me, it is available to reflect on the intended: Jesus is looking out for our prayers and reflections, God is my shalom.

The author of the book says it's impossible to ignore how controversial and amazing Jesus is. Actually, it is possible to only respond with, "[Jesus], What an interesting guy" in view of all that Jesus has done. God enables us through faith and the Holy Spirit to recognize what this righteousness (Christ's obedience, authority and love) means for us. I say it means I can love people (as counter and lacking as my love may appear to the people in my universe) and know that God, Cristo and Shen Ling (Chinese translation of "Holy Spirit," sounds cool doesn't it?) transform me.


- Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment