Sunday, March 4, 2012

Who am I?

"No matter how many of these things you gain, it's never enough to make you sure of who you are...

Jesus says, "i don't want you to simply shift from one performance-based identity to another; I want you to find a whole new way. I want you to lose the old self, the old identity, and base yourself and your identity on me and the gospel."

Tonight I had the honor to be apart of a study. I love being apart of studies because not only is it great to witness someone grow in their faith and learn who God is in their life...God teaches me as well a new perspective on scriptures I've read before. Tonight's study was on baptism and repentance and it reminded me of this section of the book.

One scrip in particular stuck..

"But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. (Romans 8:10 NIV)

Lately I've been learning I have more fear than I thought I had. So many insecurities that I have about myself were presented in plain view through a friendship. In reading this book and participating in the study, I realize I'm not completely doing what God has asked me to do...die to my old self or old thought patterns. Instead of completely surrendering those insecurities and the part of my heart that lives in fear, I have yet to give God full control.

I need to remember that through baptism and through His grace the old Jenny is no longer and whatever healing that needs to be done will be done with God. In other words I need to submit to the Spirit's will and not my flesh. Who I am now is someone who is being redefined, restored, and renewed through God....i just need to get out of the way and base my identity in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment