Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ch. 14 - The Feast

Ch. 14 - The Feast

These are notes of my reflection in Chapter 14.

The four cups of Passover represent four promises:
Rescue
Freedom
Redemption
Renewed relationship

The author says that no lambs were present. I say prove it! I doubt that Jesus set up a Passover with just bread and wine. I dig Seders. I have been to two. One with Christians from TP and one held by the Jews for Jesus. I acknowledge Christ's authority. He could have ditched the lamb to teach the disciples. He totally could have. In the bible, is it hinted at or explicitly stated? No. Is the author deducing, rationalizing? Is he "The Message" bibling (I made that a verb) the account?

The equation for Diminishing Isolation is: diminishing isolation = entering it
I have experienced these things. It also works in reverse: increasing the community or cool by assimilation. Jesus assimilates us and we consistently reference being seen by God through the lens of Christ.

Communion represents the sacrificial and substitutionary love of Jesus. I often reflect on the promise of salvation, Jesus on the cloud, resurrection of the dead and even the great commission and my commitments to God. I think it would be best to refrain from thinking about my works during our communion times and only to focus on God's merciful love. When I think of my works during a week or even the years I have been in relationship with God, I can become pitiful: I don't deserve the communion. I haven't worked for it. Communion is my participation and relationship with God. Not a score card.

Feasting requires active reception of the feast. It is presented. I take it in. Action.

Passover is a family meal, we are an altogether new family through Christ (our baptism and resurrection). We ought to be united through these aspects, however, I consistently hear disciples who come to Turning Point say "I like it here because there are people who are like me: young, also in 'the industry,' also educated," and so on. I can be territorial and want fewer of the people who are looking for themselves or a church community that suits them. I want a great number of people who came for Christ and cherish the community they are with no matter the differences. We are 'a band of natural enemies who love one another for Jesus's sake.' The variety gives the community mad flavor as does the salt of godly hearts.

We are dormant until we are in the presence of the Creator, the spiritual presence. I have seen so many people who are active and kinetic even though they are not disciples. While we all agree that their lives will be better once they know God, I reflect on how their lives will be difficult, with this calling and eyes wide open to the snake and dove of being born again. I hope that they will sacrifice this life for a transformed life here and in heaven after this.


- Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment